Friday, July 15, 2011

a bowl of cherries sans pits

“Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think.” (Jean de la Bruyere, essayist and moralist 1645-1696)

If you were to add one thing to your daily activities what would it be? Personally I’d recommend laughing more often. This is not to say you should hire yourself out as a clown for your local circus. Nor am I referring to the purchase of silly joke books. What I’m talking about is using humor as a coping mechanism. There are those who wake up in the morning and dread whatever is forthcoming. They count the hours until they can crawl back into bed and slip into oblivion. With good reason. Life is tough. Disasters crop up weekly and there are depressing hardships that we face daily such as family conflicts, emotional issues, unemployment, and physical ailments. If we take everything that comes our way seriously life becomes Act lll of a Shakespearian tragedy.
But what would happen if we removed ourselves from the picture for even a moment, and injected ourselves with some humor (not to be confused with heroin) to ease the pain?
What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. I think that is a great exercise, research has found that happy people tend to have/show gratitude.

    I love that you keep your blog so varied, please keep it going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coping mechanism or Defense mechanism?

    Can taking serious issues lightly as a means of coping possibly have any negative consequences?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeee the qouteeee its awesomeeee
    nice blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't argue with research, but i would think that people who are naturally happy-go-lucky are less likely to show gratitude than someone who makes an effort to implement happiness into their everyday lives. I find that people who go through hard times are more likely to notice when little things go right. Thanks for your feedback- it is always welcome and i appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coping mechanisms are just that- a way to cope, not a way to live your life all the time. In general, anything taken to an extreme will have negative consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks rOsie! I hope to bring you much more awesomeness in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always say "I don't care if you are laughing with me or at me as long as you are laughing".

    The Baze

    ReplyDelete